The flag of Kazakhstan was approved a few years after the republic seceded from the USSR. The best minds worked on the design of the cloth; it fully reflects the cultural heritage of the entire nation.
This is what a modern flag of Kazakhstan looks like:
History of the flag
In 1992, the government of Kazakhstan announced a national contest: anyone could propose their own design for the future state symbols. The selection committee was chaired by incumbent President Nursultan Nazarbayev. A total of 1200 applications were submitted.
Members of the jury unanimously voted for the version of the artist Shaken Niyazbekv. For several months he consciously studied all found literature on heraldry and the history of the Kazakh people.
In 1966, Niyazbekov was appointed chief artist of the All-Union Exhibition of Economic Achievement in Alma-Ata. Only a few years later, he would head the Union of Artists of Kazakhstan.
- The flag of Kazakhstan is a rectangular cloth of blue color.
- In the center is the sun with 32 rays and a flying eagle.
- Along the left edge there is a vertical stripe.
The colors of the flag of Kazakhstan
In the first version, the ornaments on the flag were red, but it was soon decided to make them gold.
The blue background is a symbol of honesty and loyalty. In Turkic peoples it denotes the boundless sky and all those people who live under it.
Meaning of colors and flag symbol
In the tradition of heraldry, each color and symbol carries a specific interpretation.
- People saw in the light blue background a divine origin; they believed that in this way they expressed their devotion to God.
- The sun is a source of energy; a symbol of wealth and fertility. The rays are shaped like grains, and this is no accident: the level of prosperity depended on the amount of harvested crops.
If you interpret the meaning of the sign more deeply, the image of the sun can be associated with the image of a young state, which is open to close cooperation with other countries.
- The eagle is always power and magnanimity. Nothing prevents the bird from soaring freely above the ground – so does the state strive for a bright future and the heights of world civilization.
- The national ornament (large band on the left edge) embodies the culture and traditions of the ancestors. The harmonious forms and lines reveal the inner character of people.
Interesting facts about the flag
- On the centennial of the conquest of the South Pole (2011), the national flag was hoisted in Antarctica.
- In exactly 3 years the climber from Kazakhstan Maksut Zhumayev will ascend the highest mountain of North America – peak “McKinley”. From now on, the banner will be flaunting there as well.
- On the eve of 2017 at the UN headquarters in New York, there is a ceremony of installation of the state flag of Kazakhstan in front of the Security Council Hall. This is how this state becomes a full member of the Security Council.
The flag is the main symbol of a country, representing its sovereignty and identity. Since ancient times, such a distinctive sign has united the people with a particular state entity.
General information about Kazakhstan
|Official language||Kazakh – state;
Russian – official in state organizations and local authorities
|Currency||tenge, (Tenge symbol.svg)
(KZT, code 398)